A huge thank you to Cathy at Reflect & Refine for nominating us for the Versatile Blogger Award! This blog has been a fun adventure to keep us writing after Catching Readers was published. After accepting this honor we are asked to:
1. Thank the person (people) who nominated you and provide a link back to their blog. 2. Share 7 things about you (us). 3. Pass this award along to 15 other blogs that you have discovered.
So here we go! Enjoy!
7 things about Pat:
1.) I’m an avid reader of adult fiction, professional books on teaching reading and writing, and children’s literature. (My favorite authors are Barbara Kingsolver, Geraldine Brooks, and Ann Patchett.)
2.) I walk 4-8 miles every day for exercise. It’s when I do most of my good thinking.
3.) I have four grandkids, two in Virginia and two in Phoenix, and love spending tons of time with them – going to parks, reading books, or just tickling and cuddling.
4.) I love talking with teachers, veteran and brand new, about how they can support their struggling readers, or any aspect of teaching reading and writing.
5.) I have over 30 years experience in education, mostly as a reading teacher in elementary schools, and I’m Reading Recovery trained.
6.) I’m a storyteller and often tell tales in my grand nieces’ and nephews’ classrooms near their birthdays.
7.) I enjoy dancing and even have a dance named after me called “The Aunt Pat.”
7 things about Katie:
1. I have a serious book addiction. I am in constant need of 1 more bookshelf. So there are always piles of books somewhere in my house (and Amazon boxes on my front porch).
2. I love to run. I recently started running ultra marathons (distances over the 26.2 marathon) mostly on mountain trails. I love spending time playing on the trails. Most of my writing & teaching ideas happen on the trail.
3. This is my 20th year of teaching. And my first year teaching Kindergarten. I’ve taught grades 1-8 (except for 6th), and have been a literacy specialist and a librarian.
4. I LOVE LOVE LOVE teaching Kindergarten. I laugh more every day than I ever have before. I love playing with the kids, and learning so much alongside of them.
5. I’ve taught in 8 schools (ranging from 100 students to 1000 students) in 3 states (CO, FL, VA)- and I’ve always taught in a Title 1 school.
6. I taught Kelly McGillis’ daughter when I taught in Key West. She was a very cool kid.
7. Helping kids discover new things is the best part of teaching for me. Whether it’s monarch caterpillars, a fun sensory box, making books, a Pete the Cat puppet or reading a book for the first time – it’s what I love about my job.
Here are 15 blogs to recognize. Enjoy!
1. Jenny at let the children play
2. Mari-Ann at Counting Coconuts
4. Tom at Teacher Tom
6. MaryLea at Pink and Green Mama
8. Mrs. Mimi at It’s Not All Flowers and Sausages
9. Vanessa at Pre-K Pages
10. Patrick at All-en-A-Day’s Work
11. Yo-Yo Reggio!
12. Scott at Brick by Brick
13. My Mommy Reads
14. Langwitches Blog
15. Tammy at Apples With Many Seeds