Clare Landigran (Teachers for Teachers) listed our blog (I write with Katie Keier) as one of eleven to receive the Sunshine Award. We were excited! This award is a way for bloggers to recognize other bloggers, as well as to encourage them to share a little bit more about themselves. Here is the description:
The sunshine award gives others an opportunity to learn more about me as a blogger and then, in turn, I will send sunshine the way of 11 other amazing bloggers for you to get to know (but I’m going to cheat and not do 11!)
The Sunshine Award was started by Matt Renwick, an elementary principal in Wisconsin (@readbyexample). Here are the rules Matt lists in his post:
Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
Share 11 random facts about yourself.
Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
List 11 bloggers. They should be bloggers you believe deserve some recognition and a little blogging love!
Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. (You cannot nominate the blogger who nominated you.)
Here are 11 facts about me:
- My husband (of 39 years) and I have two wonderful daughters, two cool son-in-laws, and 5 fantastic grandkids!
- I walk 4-6 miles every morning and then one LONG hike on the weekend.
- I’m a storyteller and love telling folktales to grades K-5. My two favorites are Tailypo and Tinderbox.
- In H. S. I thought I would be a math teacher; in college I studied social work until switching to teaching.
- I LOVE to shop… in real stores, none of this “shop on-line” stuff!
- Love going to the movies. My husband, Rick, and I go just about every Friday night.
- My favorite authors are Ann Patchett, Barbara Kingsolver, and Geraldine Brooks.
- Since becoming semi-retired, I eat lunch at Panera just about EVERY day with my computer and some books. I find it a great place to work and the food is terrific.
- I’m left-handed.
- Growing up we always had dogs – Molly#1, Molly#2, Jeepers, Tammy#1, Tammy#2.
- I like to play cards, particularly Texas Hold ‘em, Smear, 15, and bridge.
These were the questions (along with my answers) I was asked by Clare:
1) What is your favorite board game?
Definitely Trivia Pursuit, the original and other versions, but not the Sports one.
2) Where is your favorite vacation destination?
Hawaii – we’ve been three times and have included Maui, Kauai, The Big Island (Volcano Nat’l Park was great!), and Oahu. I love reading their signs full of ‘w’s’ and vowels!
3) What is your first school memory?
My kindergarten teacher took a vote everyday as to what record we wanted to hear at the end of the day. “Davy Crockett” won every day because there were more boys than girls in the class.
4) If you have an iPad –how do you use it?
Don’t use it enough. I’m still attached at the hip to my mac. Plan to figure out Evernote and use my iPad more in the new year.
5) When I am stressed, I relax by….
Watching TV (but I only watch between 9-11 at night – that’s my ‘veg out’ time.) Scandal and The Good Wife are two favorites, but Homeland and Breaking Bad are favorite netflix series. Don’t tell me the endings; we’re not there yet.
6) What is your best tip for balancing your work and family lives?
Retire! Ha Ha! Actually when I worked full time in a school I tried to say “Yes” to a few extra things and then “No” to some others. Don’t overload your plate. Did I really follow that advice? Rarely!
7) How do you plan for writing on your blog?
I wait for an idea to hit me (usually when I’m walking) and then try to write it up before I forget.
8) What motivates you to write?
Knowing that teachers have liked my books and posts; I love when they tell me it’s helping them teach struggling readers better. This makes me want to write and share more.
9) I love to spend Saturday…
Taking a 4 ½ mile walk to a breakfast place with my hubby, having breakfast, and walking the 4 ½ back… then staying busy the rest of the day. I hate being bored or having no plan!
10) What is your favorite meal to cook?
I’m a terrible cook and have little interest in it. But lasagna or taco soup are two things I make when having a big crowd over.
11) The one thing I cannot live without is…
Family. And I have a helluva big one! I’m the youngest of 6; between us we have 25 kids; and now those 25 have 64 kids. I love Facebook for the advantage of seeing all those kids’ pictures!
The bloggers that I’m giving my Sunshine Award to are:
If you’ve already been given this award, then just bask in the knowledge that someone else loves your blog!
My 11 questions for these bloggers are:
- If you hadn’t become a teacher, what would you have been?
- Tell me something about the grandparent who meant a lot to you.
- My favorite charity is…
- What’s the funniest thing a student every said to you?
- Name a teacher from your past who impressed you and why.
- The one thing on my bucket list that I know I will get to someday is…
- For exercise, I like to…
- Who is your favorite children’s book author?
- If you could visit any other country, which one would it be?
- What is the talent you really wish you had?
- If you could invent a holiday, what would it be for?
I hope you have fun playing around with your Sunshine Award! I look forward to your answers.
Read Full Post »